Email address: email@example.com
Dr. Carolina Beraldo Meloto is a General Dentist and Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Dentistry. Dr. Meloto obtained her dental degree from the State University of Campinas (Unicamp – Brazil) in 2005 and has since dedicated her studies to the understanding of the role of genetics in painful conditions, with emphasis on chronic orofacial pain conditions. After a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Dr. Meloto completed her post-doctoral studies at McGill University, where she combined her clinical and genetic training to develop clinical studies aimed at translating genetic findings into clinical applications to benefit chronic pain patients.
Dr. Meloto’s research program is focused on filling in the major gap that exists in the scientific evidence needed to support clinical practice that recognizes distinct clinical clusters of patients based on targeting their molecular pathways of vulnerability. Such recognition needs to be taken into account both for treatment and prevention of pain chronification. Currently, Dr. Meloto is working on projects testing treatment options targeting specific neurobiological mechanisms with the goal of determining the subgroups of patients that will benefit from these treatments; developing a platform for the continuous enrolment of patients with acute low back pain (LBP), temporomandibular disorder (TMD), and post-operative pain, with the goal of finding treatment options that prevent pain from becoming chronic; and also investigating how genetic and biopsychological factors that predispose to TMD apply to the use of temporomandibular joint implants, with the goal of optimizing the selection criteria for TMJ implant patients.
- Orofacial pain
- Pain genetics
- Translational research
- Randomized clinical trials
1. Meloto CB, Benavides R, Lichtenwalter RN, Wen X, Tugarinov N, Zorina-Lichtenwalter K, Chabot-Doré AJ, Piltonen MH, Cattaneo S, Verma V, Klares III R, Khoury S, Parisien M, Diatchenko L. The Human Pain Genetics Database (HPGDB): a resource dedicated to human pain genetics research. Pain. 2018 Apr;159(4):749-763. PMID 29300278.
2. Martin L, Smith S, Khoutorsky A, Magnussen C, Sorge R, Mir E, Gibson D, Otis V, Wieskopf J, Sotocinal S, Meloto CB, Austin JS, Salter M, Sonenberg N, Gendron L, Greenspan J, Fillingim R, Ohrbach R, Slade G, Knott C, Dubner R, Ribeiro-da-Silva A, Maixner W, Zaykin D, Mogil JS, Diatchenko L. Epiregulin and Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Involvement in Pain Revealed by a Reverse Translational Approach. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2017 Sept 1; 127(9):3353-3366. PMID 28783046.
3. Sanders AE, Jain D, Sofer T, Kerr KF, Laurie CC, Shaffer JR, Marazita ML, Kaste LM, Slade GD, Fillingim RB, Ohrbach R, Maixner W, Kocher T, Bernhardt O, Teumer A, Schwahn C, Sipilä K, Lähdesmäki R, Männikkö M, Pesonen P, Järvelin M, Rizzatti-Barbosa CM, Meloto CB, Ribeiro-Dasilva M, Diatchenko L, Serrano P, Smith SB. GWAS Identifies New Loci for Painful Temporomandibular Disorder: Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos. Journal of Dental Research. 2017 Mar; 96(3):277-284. PMID 28081371.
4. Zorina-Lichtenwalter K, Meloto CB, Khoury S, Diatchenko L. Genetic predictors of human chronic pain conditions. Neuroscience. 2016 Dec 3; 338:36-62. Review. PMID 27143481.
5. Lora VR, Canales Gde L, Gonçalves LM, Meloto CB, Barbosa CM. Prevalence of temporomandibular disorders in postmenopausal women and relationship with pain and HRT. Brazilian Oral Research. 2016 Aug 22; 30(1):e100. PMID 27556676.
6. Slade GD, Ohrbach R, Greenspan JD, Fillingim RB, Bair E, Sanders AE, Dubner R, Diatchenko L, Meloto CB, Smith S, Maixner W. Painful Temporomandibular Disorder: Decade of Discovery from OPPERA Studies. Journal of Dental Research. 2016 Sep;95(10):1084-92. Review. PMID 27339423.
7. Meloto CB, Bortsov A, Bair E, Helgeson E, Ostrom C, Smith S, Dubner R, Slade GD, Fillingim RB, Greenspan JD, Ohrbach R, Maixner W, McLean S, Diatchenko L. Modification of COMT-dependent pain sensitivity by psychological stress and gender. Pain. 2015 Dec 15. PMID 26675825.
8. Meloto CB, Segall SK, Smith S, Parisien M, Shabalina SA, Rizzatti-Barbosa CM, Gauthier J, Tsao D, Convertino M, Piltonen MH, Slade GD, Fillingim RB, Greenspan JD, Ohrbach R, Knott C, Maixner W, Zaykin D, Dokholyan NV, Reenilä I, Männistö PT, Diatchenko L. COMT gene locus: new functional variants. Pain. 2015; 156(10): 2072-83. PMID 26207649.
9. Segall SK, Shabalina SA, Meloto CB, Wen X, Cunningham D, Tarantino LM, Wiltshire T, Gauthier J, Tohyama S, Martin LJ, Mogil JS, Diatchenko L. Molecular genetic mechanisms of allelic specific regulation of murine Comt expression. Pain. 2015; 156(10): 1965-77. PMID 26067582.
10. Huijnen IPJ, Rusu A, Scholich S, Meloto CB, Diatchenko L. Subgrouping of low back pain patients for targeting treatments: evidence from genetic, psychological, and activity-related behavioral approaches. Clin J Pain. 2015; 31(2): 123-32. PMID 24681821.
11. Meloto CB, Silva-Concílio LR, Rodrigues-Garcia RCM, Canales GD, Rizzatti-Barbosa CM. Efffect of surface treatments on the bond strength of different resin teeth to complete denture base material. Acta Odontol Latinoam. 2013; 26 (1): 37-42. PMID 24294822.
12. Silva-Concílio LR, Meloto CB, Neves AC, Cunha LG, Rizzatti-Barbosa CM. Influence of different flasking and polymerizing methods on the occlusal vertical dimension of complete dentures. Acta Odontol Latinoam. 2012;25(3):312-7. PMID 23798079.
13. Sotto-Maior BS, Jóia FA, Meloto CB, Cury AA, Rizzatti-Barbosa CM. Effect of double flasking and investing methods on artificial teeth movement in complete dentures processing. Gerodontology. 2012 Jun;29(2):e435-9. PMID 21615784.
14. Meloto CB, Serrano PO, Ribeiro-DaSilva MC, Rizzatti-Barbosa CM. Genomics and the new perspectives for temporomandibular disorders. Arch Oral Biol. 2011 Nov;56(11):1181-91. Review. PMID 21536254.
15. Planello AC, Campos MI, Meloto CB, Secolin R, Rizatti-Barbosa CM, Line SR, de Souza AP. Association of matrix metalloproteinase gene polymorphism with temporomandibular joint degeneration. Eur J Oral Sci. 2011 Feb;119(1):1-6. PMID 21244504.
16. Meloto CB, Silva-Concílio LR, Machado C, Ribeiro MC, Joia FA, Rizzatti-Barbosa CM. Water sorption of heat-polymerized acrylic resins processed in mono and bimaxillary flasks. Braz Dent J. 2006;17(2):122-5. PMID 16924338.